Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Berserk Staff Chime in On Upcoming Anime Project

With the upcoming Berserk 2016 anime just a month away, with the first premiere happening on WOWOW on July 1st, some of the staff working on the anime are becoming a little less tight lipped about it.


What do they have to say about the new project?

Itagaki Shin (Director)

Hello. I'm Itagaki Shin, and I'll be directing the 2016 TV anime series Berserk.
 
I remember watching the first adaptation as an average viewer and thinking, "This show sure does stand out," but of course, I never imagined back then that I would one day get an offer to direct an anime for the series.
 
When I read through the manga this time, it hit me just how rich a work Berserk is, and how much depth it has as a human drama.
 
I believe it's a work that should prove fascinating to one and all, especially in how it accepts the darkness within people and uses that to form the framework of the story.
 
Making an anime adaptation which would recreate the manga's depth along with its detailed and graphic art would normally be considered reckless, but we're facing up to the challenge with the latest in animation technology and techniques.
 
Please cheer us on!

Fukami Makoto (Series Composition & Scripts)

Hello. I'm Fukami, and I'll be handling series composition and scripts.
I was a student back when I first read Berserk.
 
The vivid and detailed art, overwhelming violence, and unrelenting plot developments left a deep impression on me that I have yet to forget.
 
I am overjoyed that I get to work on a series that I believe, without exaggeration, is one of the foremost names in world fantasy history.
 
The Golden Age ends, and the Black Swordsman's travels begin.
 
Just how will Guts's "Dragon Slayer" cut through his formidable opponents?
 
What kind of animation will the world get to see?
 
Personally, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Iwanaga Hiroaki (VA: Guts)

My feelings haven't changed since 2012, when I first got to work on the Berserk movies.
It is a series that is wildly popular not just in Japan but all over the world, and continuing to play Guts, its protagonist, brings me both great joy and a huge amount of pressure, frankly speaking.
 
But at the same time, I desperately want to channel that joy and pressure into my work, so I live up to the expectations of not only the manga's fans, but also every single person who will tune in and watch the new anime.

Hikasa Youko (VA: Farnese)

I'm truly honored to have the chance to take on the role of Farnese.
 
Farnese forces herself to portray a leader and suppresses her desires as part of her faith.
In truth, she has a side to her that is extremely human and feminine.
 
I feel she's a difficult character to portray, and that I'll have to destroy the walls put up around my own heart if I have to succeed.
 
When I immerse myself into the role, I focus hard so my mind doesn't wander in between lines, so it's always a huge relief when dubbing is over for the day. Sometimes, I find my hands trembling, and I get the feeling my lifespan has reduced quite a bit.
 
It's a work with a lot of fans of the source material, so I'd like to do my best to make this an adaptation with all our spirits poured into it, one which won't let its viewers down.
 
Please look forward to its airing!

Sagisu Shirou (Music)

In Helsinki around thirty years ago, with temperatures falling below -20C day after day,
I was recording while heating myself up each afternoon with reindeer stew and a local spirit as strong as vodka. Following the saying of "Controlling bears has always been part of Nordic DNA," I one day ordered a dish made of high-grade Bear meat, and the entire restaurant broke out into applause. My colleague took one bite of the bear meat and yelled out "I have defeated bearhood!" in such a loud voice that it resonated in the mountains of snow piled out outdoors.

I was told that in Old Norse, "Berserk" referred to warriors who wore bear skin and let out war cries that made them sound insane.

Since then, I have visited Scandinavia more than a hundred times. Strangely enough, the offers to work on the movies and the TV series both came while I was on jobs there. I sense fate at work here.

Since I love dark fantasy—no. Since I respect and admire Miura Kentarou and Hirasawa Susumu, facing up to this work makes me feel as though I am heading out to battle.

And the curtain has risen on battle, to create music resembling the cries of warriors that pierce and echo across the wintry skies!

Hirasawa Susumu (Insert Song) 

I've worked on every anime edition of Berserk, right from its very first airing on TV.
This time, too, I was asked to work on it, and I gladly took up the offer and produced 
"Hai yo," an insert song for the show.

I wrote the lyrics in Japanese instead of neologisms this time and tried to enliven the setting for the series. At the same time, while learning from Sagisu-san's soundtrack and trying to fit in with his dignified touches, I looked to implement my own style that has supported Berserk all this while, with a certain wildness to it.

When a greater enemy looks down upon some as nothing but ash, powerless and worthless, and pressures them to submit, they stand up to them by setting themselves free and using their own, dazzling "divinity" of sorts as strength. "Hai yo," the insert song, looks to provide cover fire for such fighters, and if it could serve as a trigger for viewers to sympathize with them, nothing like it.

Sugawara Takurou (9mm Parabellum Bullet)

As a fan who has kept up with Berserk for a long time, I'm honored to be involved in this project. I'm happy to say that I believe the soundtrack resonates with the series' worldview on a deep, profound level.
 
Please look forward to the synergy it will create with the visuals.

Translated from the Berserk homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment